There are always two people in a picture: the photographer and the viewer. - Ansel Adams

Friday 8 April 2011

Today is first day of the rest of my life

September 13th. This date will forever be etched into my memory. This is the day that I finally moved to the city I have been dreaming about for a long time. Vancouver!!! It also helps that Vancouver is home to the school of my dreams too! I have been thinking about going to Vancouver Institute of Media Arts for a long time. After a trip to visit my dad on Vancouver Island I realized that photography wasnt just a hobby to me anymore. It was something that I wanted to pursue as a viable career and that I was going to do whatever it took to make this come true. I found the link for the website for Van Arts around Christmas time 2009. I remember showing my mom and how her reaction was a little more towards the "i dont think so" side then the "yes what a wonderful idea" reaction i was looking for. But after I got my first camera (Canon Rebel xsi) and she saw that I had some talent behind it she has been supportive ever since.


Alright back to Vancouver. I hadnt even been excepted to school yet but it didnt matter. I had moved and I wasnt looking back. At first I was pretty scared to apply and kept putting it off. What if I didnt get accepted? What if they told me to try again later? Am I even good enough to be applying to photography schools, especially ones where they only let a limited amount of people in each year?! Finally after I realized that the longer I put it off the less my chances were of getting in since the program fills up fast I just did it. The week it took to hear back was the most nerveracking week of my life! Then the email came at work one day when I was at lunch. I had to read it over and over for it to actually sink it. I pretty much stood up and jumped up and down like a fool then proceeded to tear up and couldnt stop smiling for the rest of the day. Even now when im having a bad day I just read that email and its makes me happy again. I havent taken as many pictures of Vancouver as I have liked but everyday that I am here makes me fall in more in love with it and hopefully I will start to take more pictures since the weather is starting to warm up.

No comments:

Post a Comment